Re: Delete Win 2K partition on Debian dual boot to re-use space.

del wrote:
> I have a dual boot Debian Sarge/Win 2K box.
>
> I would now like to remove the 2K partition to regain the space for use
> for MP3s.  Would I be able to have a second "home" so it will not be
> wiped if I need to re-install at some time, say when I break my machine
> upgrading to Etch later this year :)
>
> 1) How to remove?

# cfdisk /dev/hda (or /dev/sda, or whatever fits your situation)
highlight the 2K partition, and delete it.
Highlight the now-unused partition, and create a new linux partition
[W]rite the changes, and exit cfdisk.
Reboot if so-prompted (otherwise, don't bother.
# mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1 (or whatever file system and partition fits your
desire/situation)
edit /etc/fstab to mount the newly created partition/file system on
whatever mount point you want, say
"/home/del/OldW2KSpaceRecoveredFromTheDarkSide" (make sure to make this
directory first.
# mount -a
> 2) What to name it to survive a re-install?

Whatever you want; just make sure that during any re-install, you don't
wipe out this partition / file system.  (Why are you re-installing
anyway? This is Debian, not Windows.)

> 3) Is it possible to have a second home?

No. (Well, 'er ..., just say "No".) You could however have a "/home2",
or an "/opt", or an "/overflow", or a "/home/home", etc etc etc.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>