Re: i need ur help

Tim Post schreef:

> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 13:32 +0800, meisam sarabadani wrote:
> > dear Debian People
> >
> > its been long time im using ubuntu, breezy, dapper, and edgy the last
> > one, im ganna change it to debian for a while, would u please tell me
> > which distribution is better? i need to know it and i need to make up
> > my mind what to do, tell me the differences please, is is a good idea
> > to switch to debian, and by the way i know that ubuntu is debian
> > base.
> >
> > best regards.
> >
> > Meisam Sarabadani student in MMU University, malaysia, Cyberia
> > majoring at Information System Engineering
>
> What's the intended use of the system? I use Ubuntu breezy and Debian
> Sarge (plus a little help from backports.org) for most things, I find I
> like both equally.
>
> Best,
> -Tim

I agree with Tim that first of all you should make up your mind about
the intended use of your system. I have experience with SUSE when
OpenSUSE did not yet exist. I had to buy a new version every year or
so. Moreover it turned out to be very difficult to install newer
software, because the libraries were becoming too old.

Then I decided to install Debian. I chose the 'testing' distribution.
Now I have it two years running and I am very satisfied. 'Testing' is
continuously updated, so you have very recent software. Moreover, the
updating is a continuous process, so you never have to reinstall your
system. Moreover, in 'testing' you have very many packages, which can
be installed with 'synaptic', a graphical front end to 'apt'.

During the last two years I have experience very few serious problems
with 'testing'.

I use Debian 'testing' as a desktop system for my own personal use. Of
course, if you are using your system in a production environment you
should choose 'stable' in stead of 'testing'.

Installing Debian is very easy: just download a CD for a net install
and then install your system from the net.

--
Eeltje