Re: package from unstable to testing + tracking testing and unstable

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:47:26AM +0100, Rob Wilco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Debian is cool because it is transparent, you can get answers. I now

Hi Rob,
that is one of the founding prinipals of Debian - dont hide stuff from
our user: 'Open' bugs, 'Open' source, etc. If only this point could get
made in a persusaive way to the windows-using people and why it is
better. One can only dream.

> have new questions:
>
>  * how will the libapache2-mod-fastcgi land in testing?

all bugs (more or less) get fixed and the resulting package is sent into
unstable. It gets user tested. And goes into testing 10 days later. more
or less. This is dependant upon more factors which can make it take less
time or more time. Ask if you want more gorey details :-)

>  * how can I tell aptitude to install only that specific module from
> unstable? (by reading
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html, I learnt
> that the man from apt-preferences has the answer)

One way is to use the '-t' flag. e.g.
apt-get -t testing bash
this will install bash but using only packages from 'testing'. I am not
sure if this should be 'testing' or 'etch' or if there is a differnce.
so YMMV and try both.

Cheers,
Kev