Re: tremendous size for ".xsession-errors"

On 11/2/06, Brad Sawatzky <brad+debian@swatter.net> wrote:
Deephay wrote:

> I have a problem with my .xsession-errors file, this file will grow
> tremendous size each day (956 MB today, cleared yesterday, with a 4 GB
> size).
> The major source of errors comes from gnash (I am using the amd64 port
> which adobe flash player won't work), gnash is not matured yet and
> will produce lots of error messages with certain kind of flash movies
> which can be easily found on many websites, all of the messages are
> logged in the .xsession-errors (millions of lines!), mplayer and other
> applications produce some messages as well.
> So I want to know that is there a way to turn down the verbose level
> of the error log, or should I just add an entry in the crontab to
> clean it every ten minutes? TIA!

See <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/manual/gnash.html#gnashrc>
for details on controlling the debug output of gnash.

If there are only a few apps that spew to .xsession-errors you could
try redirecting stderr (and/or stdout) to another file when they are
invoked (ie. make a shell script wrapper for the offending program and
put the wrapper in a directory that is at the front of $PATH).

#! /bin/bash
## Wrapper for verbose apps
## NOTE: Make sure you invoke the real program using the full path
##       if the script has the same name.  If you don't, you'll
##       be introduced to the joys of unintended recursion.
exec /usr/bin/spew.exe "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1

-- Brad

Thanks very much for the suggestions also.