Re: Moving Unstable to new HDD

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 13:51:10 -0500
KS <lists04@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a 80GB+40GB pair of HDDs in my desktop. The 40GB is the one which
> came with the system and contains the original Windows installation. The
>  80GB hard disk contains the Debian unstable system with different
> partitions for /, /boot, /usr, /home, /tmp, /var and a couple of others
> for data storage.
>
> I have ordered a 320GB SATA disk (along with a Promise controller card)

My normal method of dealing with this is to boot from a live CD,
usually System Rescue CD or RIP:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/

: create the partitions you want, at the sizes you want, format them,
change to the /mnt directory on the cd, make directories for each drive
(olddrive and newdrive). Mount all the partitions reletive to the way
the are when running from the drive.

Root of the old drive mounted at /mnt/olddrive, home on the old drive
mounted at /mnt/olddrive/home, etc..., and the same for the new drive.

With all relevant partitions mounted you would then do:

cp -av /mnt/olddrive/* /mnt/newdrive

: After all files are copied, edit the fstab file on the new drive as
necessary.

I don't know what issues there might be with the SATA getting the
system to boot from the new drive. If it's not an issue to keep the old
and new drive both hooked up, I expect it shouldn't be a huge of an
issue to boot into the old installation and sort out any of the
remaining stuff that needs to be done.

Later, Seeker