Re: top(1) and the meaning of columns

"Tshepang Lekhonkhobe" <tshepang@gmail.com> writes:
>> RES (aka RSS) is actually extremely important:  if the sum of all
>> programs' RSS exceeds your RAM size, your system will thrash, and
>> thrashing is not good.
>
> What does thrashing mean?

In this case it means that the processes are trying to use more memory
_actively_ than will fit in RAM, and you end up with a very high page
fault rate, meaning your system spends much more time doing disk I/O
to the swap area than it does actually computing.

You tell this is happening if your system seems _very_ slow, but the CPU
still seems to be mostly idle.

-Miles
--
=====