Re: reading MS word files

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 06:37:45AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * David Jardine <david@jardine.de> [2006 Nov 01 03:52 -0600]:
> > On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:30:31PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> > > [...]

> > > If they have the misfortune to use an MUA that fiercely forces its
> > > users to top post *cough*Lotus Notes*cough*, then they will do that
> > > elsewhere and believe it is "proper".
> >
> > Off topic: How does Lotus Notes fiercely force its users to top post?
> > I don't know Lotus Notes, so that's a not a rhetorical question.
>
> Any time one selects Reply With History (essentially including the
> message you're replying to), it includes the entire message, does not
> quote it, and puts the cursor and space above the included message.
> It's a royal pain to edit it any other way as accidentally deleting the
> wrong special character removes the entire included message and one
> practically has to start all over.  Those special markers exist at the
> beginning and end of the included message.  It does not quote the
> message as is known in Mutt and other MUAs.
>
> So, the majority of users don't fight it and one literally must read a
> message that has been forwarded/replied to multiple times from the
> bottom up, scrolling up and down to read it in proper context.
> Management types love Notes for some reason.  Anyone with a clue knows
> that it's hideously brain dead.

Thanks for the explanation.  The result obviously replicates the
traditional filing system where letters are piled up chronologically
with the latest one on top, so I can understand that business people
feel more at home with it.  Better to be able to follow what happens
rather than allow spontaneous, original, imaginative things to happen.

Cheers,
David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)