ethernet howto

I want to just share files between two laptops and have cat 5e crossover cable
to do this with ethernet cards in each lappy.

But I have no idea where to start from scratch, have never done this before I
any way.

Have googled endlessly and found a heap of stuff that wants me to put it
through a hub with different cabling and wants me to share a modem and all
sorts of stuff like this. Nothing simple and how I can then access each
computer.

I just want to be able to get from one of my machines into the other, to
transfer a few files and that's it.

Can someone please give me a hint where I can find a simple howto to do this.

TIA
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524