Re: rescue distro on 128 meg usb key?

Matt Price wrote:
hi,

my dad is bringing me an old toshiba tablet (don't have the model
number) that seems to be having serious trouble, possibly a disk
failure.  I will probably install a linux distro on it eventually, but
will have to figure out what makes the most sense for this kind of
machine (limited speed & memory, but pretty specialized needs, esp for
the touch screen).  For now though I just want to try and boot the
thing.  apparently the external usb hard drive my dad has for the
thing won't boot, and I don't have any on hand.  I currently have only
one usb key, which is 128 megs, and I was wondering if anyone knew of
a distro that would run off of a removable medium this small.

thanks as always for the help!

matt

I just recently tried out two different Live distros. Damn Small Linux and Debian Etch Live.

DSL had a GUI Desktop, but if you're comfortable with the command prompt, I'd recommend Debian Etch Live instead. I can't recall exactly what problems I had with DSL at the moment, but I had more luck with Etch Live. DSL was running a 2.4 kernel for one thing, while Etch Live was running a nice, shiney 2.6.something. =)

I was running it off a CD, but I *think* the entire thing was only about 80~90 MB, so it should fit on that USB thumb drive of yours.
Here's the address for the Debian Live Project:
http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

Hope that helps,
- GM