Re: reading MS word files

* Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> [2006 Oct 31 10:14 -0600]:

> > Who sends you doc files? Ask for
> > ogg, mpeg2 or xxx files.
>
> People who think operating a computer is using MS office. Period.
>
> They get a glazed look when I ask for plain text even if the .doc files
> they send are only straight text.  Since I've never used a windows
> computer (started with OS/2 and went to Debian directly), I don't know
> what extra work there is for them, but I understand that the windows
> recipients have to do extra work if its not a .doc file.  The sender
> tells me its more work to send .doc to everyone else and something else
> to me.

Obviously, this is a training problem, or a social problem and not a
technical problem, if you will.  In the save dialog, there is a
drop-down menu of file types.  Of course there is the warning dialog
afterward that tells the user that saving in the selected format may
cause a loss of formatting and other fancy document properties.  Many
poorly trained users interpret this as a serious error and not as the
simple bit of information that can be safely ignored that it is.  They
have trained themselves to avoid these pop-up boxes at all costs.

While that seems trite to us here, for many it can be a very big deal
and it's a mental threshold they refuse to cross.  I have the
misfortune to support such users from time-to-time.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"