Re: OT: FidoNet [Was Community hostility [Was Recent spam increase]]

On 10/30/06, Tim Post <tim.post@netkinetics.net> wrote:
Not quite, but close. FidoNET pre-dates BitNET (which became Usenet) by
just a few years. I remember this well because I was one of the lucky
few to receive a Usenet feed from Univ of MD (which I piped promptly
into my BBS, heavily modified WWIV).

The first version of Fido software was written by Jennings in 1983,
but the first FidoNET message transmission happened somewhere in
May-June 1984 ( http://wps.com/FidoNet/fidohist1.txt ;
http://www.textfiles.com/fidonet-on-the-internet/tl.htm ).

As for Usenet, the first experiments took place in 1979. You can even
find a diagram of UUUCP/USENET as of 1981 in the Wikipedia Usenet
article.

NNTP, indeed, appeared only in 1985, later than FTN.

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev