Re: OT: FidoNet [Was Community hostility [Was Recent spam increase]]

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 12:40 -0400, Chris Walters wrote:

> > Anyone remember FidoNET?
>
> Yes, I definitely remember FidoNet - I even ran a BBS there for a while.
>
> As for the original topic, in a community this large and diverse there
> is bound to be disharmony.  The key question is whether it is worth
> one's time and trouble to reply to such, and whether one should do so in
> a way that will add to the disharmony.

FrontDoor Version 2.02
Press Escape Twice For Debian ...

[kidding]

FidoNET (most of it) went down in 'flames' hence my alluding to it.

However, Fido style networks are still very much in use, as are BBS
systems (mostly telnet, but dial up boards still exist).

Relying on private networks such as BBS systems for private / secure
communications in the post patriot act world of warrant-less seizure and
arrest just puts the owner of said system in amazing potential peril..

Its easier to pick on Joe running a BBS from his home on Maple Street
than it is to get a well funded ISP to cooperate with snooping, probably
not the best idea :)

Check out www.synchro.net if interested in running one or finding some
to use. Play food fight .. trade wars .. all of the old goodies. You can
telnet to vert.synchro.net to explore it.

Sync runs well under Debian if it makes anyone feel nostalgic .. However
the author has ported most of the functionality and edit-ability of the
user experience over to JS. I think folks have even tied it in with
phpbb.

Please give it a look :) Many boards have great games going that need
more players. You'll also find lots of smaller Linux communities looking
for members and participants.

Best,
-Tim