Re: Classic Gnubie accident

yep, this was the sensible thing to do, but probably got lost in the noise

Don't say!
Log in as root. Then:
# cd /home
# chmod 755 anthony
# exit
Log in again, now as anthony.

thinking:/home/anthony#  chown -R anthony:anthony /home/anthony
thinking:/home/anthony#  chmod 755 /home/anthony
thinking:/home/anthony# ls -ld /home/anthony
drwxr-xr-x 69 anthony anthony 4096 2006-10-30 14:35 /home/anthony

seems ok

but when I log in X doesn't seem to run and I go back to the login manager

so I get rid of the login manager gdm but this still doesnt allow me to  startx

one other clue is that I cannot save text files logged in as anthony (i get a no space left on device error) but I can as root in the same directory

This was recommended few days ago
by Ron Johnson.

                  Zoran