Strange: Files served from Apache 2.2.3-2 have 0 Byte

Hello,

I've encountered a very strange problem after a re-install of my
server with the new Debian Apache2 2.2.3-2 from testing
(prefork type because of PHP5).

The first problem was that libapr1 did not work with my 2.4 kernel
(lots of segmentation fault errors), so I compiled a new version
from the Debian sources and replaced the lib from the upgrade
package. I can't update the kernel because I have a virtual server.
That took care of the segfault errors.

Now the real problem: many of the files which should be served by
Apache are truncated to 0 bytes, although some are not.

The apache2.conf (in fact the whole config in /etc/apache2) is
"out-of-the-box", I did not modify the package-installed config
in any way for the test. Just installed the newest Apache packages,
pointed my browser to the correct address and saw the directory
index of "/var/www", but with some of the images missing.

The Apache log-entries always show a code 200 for the missing
images with the correct file size, but the browser shows 0 bytes
received, but the rest of the headers looked just fine. Serving any
files worked fine with the previous Apache version, so I assume
it's not a network or browser problem.

I also ruled out permission problems, since the log-entries from
Apache should show if a file cannot be accessed. Besides, the
images of the directory index should have the correct permissions,
since they are installed from the Apache package,.

I can't produce verbatim log entries now, because I had to restore
a full backup to get my server working again.

Any ideas where I can start looking?

Frank