Re: argh! linux and floppies

Kent West wrote:

>> I'm going to try another couple of
>> floppies, and via Knoppix.
>>

> I just tried yet another floppy, and although it looked like it
> formatted properly, and I was able to copy a few files to it and read
> those files from it, I then did the verify thing again:
>
> westk[@westk03]:/home/westk> sudo dd if=/dev/fd0 conv=noerror | sum
> dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
> 16+0 records in
> 16+0 records out
> 8192 bytes (8.2 kB) copied, 9.51669 seconds, 0.9 kB/s
> dd: reading `/dev/fd0': Input/output error
> 16+0 records in
> 16+0 records out
>
> and on and on and on ....
>
> Now it's time to reboot and try Knoppix.

Under Knoppix, floppies #4 & 5 did slightly better, but still generated
errors. The sixth one formatted and verified without errors, and so I
thought maybe I've just got a bunch of bad floppies, but when I tried to
use it in my antiquated floppy-media-based digital camera, the camera
complained about a "Bad Disk". (This camera works fine with floppies
used in a Windows box.)

So I'm leaning toward two bad floppy drives in two machines within my
house. I'll know more when I can try these floppies in a third and maybe
fourth Debian box at work tomorrow.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>