renaming LV which is root makes system unbootable

Hi

I've done something rather silly.

I've been experimenting with LVM on my laptop to be able to install
several systems with the flexibility to adjust sizes.  I named the VG
'alpha' and the LVs a, b, c and d.  /boot is a real partition, a = /,
b = /usr, c = /var and d = /tmp and all has been working fine for a
while now.

I was planning to adjust the sizes of /usr (too small) and /var (too
big) prior to setting up another system.  I had the bright idea of
renaming a,b,c and d to root, usr, var and tmp respectively thinking it
would be easier to tell what was what once I had more systems on the
box.

using lvm lvrename, I renamed all the LVs and changed the entries in
/etc/fstab to reflect the new names, rebooted and it hangs because it
can't find the / partition.  I suspect that there is somewhere else
that I have to change the name in a conf file but I can't find where.  I
can mount the root partition when in another system and so I know it's
there and I've checked the fstab which seems correct.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Clive

--