Re: Jerky Mouse Movement - SOLVED!

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 01:42:44PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> After a dist-upgrade from Sarge to testing and to a kernel built from
> linux-source-2.6.17 my mice - one old fashioned ball mouse and one Wacom
> Graphire mouse - only move in jumps and starts.    Clearly there is
> something wrong with my setup but I am having difficulty finding the
> fault.  I built the 2.6.17 with the same .config I used with a 2.6.11
> kernel and Sarge and both mice worked perfectly before the upgrade.

Solution: Do NOT compile the kernel with Processor types and
features/Local APIC support on uniprocessors.  Without this the Wacom
Graphire 4 Tablet mouse runs as smooth as silk; finest mouse I've ever
had.

Background: Went back and confirmed that I had not built the 2.6.11
kernel with local APIC support.  Somewhere along the line - perhaps when
I ran make oldmenuconfig - this got added in the 2.6.17 kernel.  It
sounds like a good thing to add but not if you want to use a Wacom
mouse.

Notes on my other posts on this subject:  xsetmode will change the
pointer between Absolute and Relative.  In my case changing it had no
effect.  I never found out if xsetwacom can change the Motion_Buffer but
I did inadvertantly change its value.  Mike had pointed out that in the
xorg.conf entry for the wacom pad I had set /dev/input/event0 while for
the stylus, eraser and cursor entries I had set /dev/input/wacom.  I
changed the pad entry to /dev/input/wacom and this did bad things.  When
I put it back to /dev/input/event0 and restarted gdm all was well again
but values of all the Wacom device Motion_Buffers had changed from 256
to 0.

I seem to remember that when I first set up my Wacom tablet a year ago I
found information on the Wacom website that told me how to modify
xorg.conf and that it specifically said the entry for pad should be
event0.  Note that /dev/input/wacom is a soft link to /dev/input/event2.

I hope all this is helpful to someone.  For myself I am as happy as a
clam to have my Wacom mouse and stylus working again.  When they work
right there is not another mouse that comes close to their smooth,
precise performance.

Tom