Re: respectful slightly dumb question about 64 bit computing.....

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 01:22:49PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Dear Debian folks,
>
> I have been reading about the benefits of 64 bit computing on the web.  In
<snip>

> OK, here's the dumb question:
>
> Let's suppose that money was no object and we managed in some technical
> feat to construct a computer that could have a 64 bit chip in it that would
> be properly hooked up to 16 exabytes of RAM.
>
> If I had such a computer in my possession and I offered to donate to the
> Debian community how would it respond?

Hi Michael,
from what I have read on debian-devel, someone who want to buy a new
machine for Debian would ask about what the current or future need is,
thus allowing you to buy what would suite the project.  Now if you
already have a machine, then either someone would say, "yes, that is
good for XYZ" or they would say, "no, that is not what anyone needs."
Cheers,
Kev