Re: etch repository problems ? - apt-get, aptitude, synaptic

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 04:08:41 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:33:46 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

Is there a problem with the Debian etch repository?  With the
following "/etc/apt/sources.list", synaptic stops with the error
message: "Could not download all repository indexes"

   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
   deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free
contrib

   deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
   deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main non-free
contrib

   deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
non-free deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
contrib non-free

The mirrors.kernel.org sources appear to be a Debian mirror, and so
are not needed in addition to the ftp.us.debian.org sources. Other
than that, I can't see a problem.
"aptitude update" hangs with the message "[waiting for headers]".

Try a different Debian mirror. Choose one from the list at
http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

And with synaptic, I get a very strange message:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release.gpg: Could not
connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection
refused)

http://security.debian.org/dists/etch/updates/Release.gpg: Could not
connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection
refused)

Is Synaptic configured to use a proxy server? Look under Preferences,
Network.

But I am able to send email with Thunderbird (this message) and to
browse normally.  Is something on my Debian etch i386 machine broken?

No; synaptic is configured for "direct connection to the Internet".

I just now did what I should have done at first: I tried "aptitude update" from another Debian machine in the LAN, and there were no errors. So the trouble is entirely within this machine. But not all the packages are affected -- Mozilla, Firefox, and Thunderbird appear to be OK. IRSSI appears to be OK.

But something is interfering with apt-get, aptitude, and Synaptic. And I discovered that hpodder no longer is able to connect to feeds to which I am able to connect with Mozilla browser.

Within the past week, I installed mutt; so I wonder if that installation has something to do with this problem. Mutt is receiving messages OK, but messages are not getting out.

Now I must decide whether to try and find the problem, or spend the next few days reinstalling and configuring the system.

RLH