Re: etch repository problems ? - apt-get, aptitude, synaptic

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:33:46 -0600
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris@oplink.net> wrote:

Is there a problem with the Debian etch repository?  With the
following "/etc/apt/sources.list", synaptic stops with the error
message: "Could not download all repository indexes"

   deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
   deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib

   deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main non-free contrib
   deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch main non-free
contrib

   deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
   deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
non-free

The mirrors.kernel.org sources appear to be a Debian mirror, and so
are not needed in addition to the ftp.us.debian.org sources. Other than
that, I can't see a problem.

"aptitude update" hangs with the message "[waiting for headers]".

And with synaptic, I get a very strange message:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release.gpg: Could not
connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection refused)

http://security.debian.org/dists/etch/updates/Release.gpg: Could not
connect to localhost:4001 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111 Connection refused)

But I am able to send email with Thunderbird (this message) and to
browse normally.  Is something on my Debian etch i386 machine broken?

RLH