Re: argh! linux and floppies

Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed how awful Linux has become for dealing with
> floppies (aka A-drive)?  Years ago it was not bad, but now, even
> mtoolsfm doesn't seem to work.  All of these floppies work in Windows
> and/or dos drives.  I find this to be the case on various different
> computers that are running Linux (Debian) that I've tried.  If anyone
> has any tips, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Mark

I have just 30 minutes ago tried to use three 3.5" floppies on two
different machines, and can't get anywhere with them. I decided to put
it on the back burner and read my email when I came across your post.

I've tried cfdisk and fdisk to look at the partition(s) (do these work
on floppies?), and mformat, and mkfs.vfat, and fdformat, and all I ever
get is something like "could not get geometry of device" or "Problem
reading cylinder 0" or "Unable to read /dev/fd0", etc.

Very frustrating. It's nice to know it appears to be happening to
someone else also.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>