Re: Multi NIC and Multi IP problem

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:06:59AM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 25.10.06 21:08, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 12:04:14PM +0800, he ccjj wrote:
> > > I have tow NIC eth0 and eth1,and two ip: a.b.c.d and a.b.c.e,with the
> > > same gateway a.b.c.254
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > This is completely broken?  Why on Earth would you want two NICs on the
> > same subnet going to the same gateway?  Unless you know what you are
> > doing and have a very specific reason to have that exact arrangement,
> > what you are doing is broken.
>
> Maybe to get better performance and/or failover setup. I'm not sure, but the
> kernel could work with such setup, imho. It seems it doesn't.

Performance is one thing, but you would need to use bonding or something
similar to get the benefit of greater bandwidth.  But beyond that, I
would think that the failiure against which would try to defend with
this setup would be so uncommon as to not be worth the effort.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez