Re: switching from mbox to maildir in mutt, exim, etc.: how?

Paul E Condon:

> I'm looking at my system backups and notice that there is some clutter
> form mbox files being updated almost daily.

What kind of clutter? If you are doing incremental backups (in the form
of diffs to previous versions) mbox should be alright.

A good comparison between both formats is here:
<http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Maildir>.

> [...] Where can I find a recent HOWTO that adresses Debian issues, if
> it is not bad?

What you need to do heavily depends on your mail setup. What you need to
do in mutt is described in the link above. If you are using procmail to
sort mails into the right mailbox, you generally only need to append
slashes to the mailbox names. E.g:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR

:0

In this case, you don't need to touch Exim's configuration at all.

J.
--
I no longer believe in father christmas but have no trouble
comprehending a nuclear apocalypse.