Brad Rules!

Brad Sawatzky wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, jdkaye10@yahoo.es wrote:
>
>> I'm in serious trouble here. I was upgrading from xorg 6.9 to 7 but my
>> problem is the usual one. Everything was fine until wajig reported that
>> the /usr/X11R6/bin directory wasn't empty. It suggested moving the files
>> somewhere else and then restarting the install. I did this and then all
>> hell broke loose. Redoing wajig install xserver-xorg aborted again with
>> dependency problems and suggested I run apt-get -f install, which I did.
>> That only made things worse. I am now completely stuck. installing,
>> reinstalling, holding, removing or any other operation using, apt-get,
>> aptitude, wajig all abort. Running apt-get check gives this:
> [ . . . ]
>> dpkg: error
>> processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xbase-clients_1%3a7.1.ds-3_i386.deb
>> (--unpack):
>>  trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/xgamma', which is also in package unicon
>> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>  /var/cache/apt/archives/xbase-clients_1%3a7.1.ds-3_i386.deb
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>> Any ideas would be extremely helpful
>
> Try 'apt-get remove unicon' followed by the 'apt-get -f install'.  You can
> always reinstall unicon after apt gets the xorg upgrade sorted out.
>
> If apt is really wedged then 'dpkg -r unicon' might work to clear the
> block.
>
> I had a similar issue while upgrading a machine to etch earlier this week
> and I'm pretty sure one or the other invocation solved it for me. (I now
> wish I paid more attention) so I could tell you for sure.)
>
> -- Brad
Brad,
You are a bloody genius!!!! Yes, apt was truly wedged. I tried dpkg -r
unicon and that unblocked everything. I stupidly deleted the file that it
was whinging about but I guess in apt's memory the file was still there
since the package was still there. It has now installed xserver-xorg and
I'll have to see what other damage has been done but at least apt is
unblocked.
debian.users RULE!!!
Thanks again you have done your good deed for the year.
Jonathan