Re: Recent spam increase

On Friday 27 October 2006 11:18, celejar wrote:
> On 10/27/06, Kamaraju Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
> > There is a loophole in the above argument. Some of the ISPs charge by the
> > amount of traffic an individual user uses. If a spammer uses a zombie
> > operation and starts sending spam from these zombie machines, it
> > increases the net amount of bandwidth the user uses, resulting in higher
> > internet bills, and hence more income for the ISP. So shutting down the
> > zombie computers will infact result in reduction of revenues for ISPs.
>
> Are you assuming that the zombied machines are also the ISP's customers?
>
> Celejar

I am not sure I understood your question completely. Say I buy internet
service from ISP X which charges $Y per GB of traffic used. Say my machine
has been hacked and is sending spam. Now I have to pay more money to the ISP
since I will be using more bandwidth than I otherwise would have. In this
case, I (the ISP customer) own the 'zombied' machine. Does that answer your
question?

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi