RE: Can't boot after installation ==> ALERT! /dev/sda1 doest not exist. Dropping to a shell.

Hello,

Thanks for the information,
I tried some things and I hope I am little bit closer to the solution.

This is what I have done:
Rebooted with a rescue cd and changed the label of /dev/sda1 to /root
"Jfs_tune -L /dev/sda1 /root"

When I check my settings with jfstune:
Jfs_tune -l /dev/sda1
Volume Label:	'/root'

With cfdisk:
with cfdisk
SDA1		BOOT		Primary	Linux JFS
[/root]
SDA2				Primary	Linux Swap / Solaris

So I guess this is correct.
(I also changed label of swap partition but appearantly that's not
shown, weird)

Then I mounted my disk and changed /etc/fstab:

fstab:
#/dev/sda1		/	jfs	defaults,errors=remount-ro
0	1
LABEL=/root		/	jfs	defaults,errors=remount-ro
0	1
#/dev/sda2		none	swap	sw
0	0
LABEL=swap		none	swap	sw
0	0

I changed /dev/sda1 with LABEL=/root

Then I changed menu.lst from grub:
title		blahblahblah
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-686 root=LABEL=/root ro
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-686
savedefault
boot

I saved everything and rebooted the system.
Then when I boot, I get this:

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-label//root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-2) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs)

So, appearantly the system can't find /root label or can't link it with
/dev/sda1 ?
Maybe because /root is not in the /dev directory (according the error).

I tried to make a link (ln -S /dev/sda1 .//root

But error stays the same.

So maybe the /root is wrong ?
I change the label to test
Jfs_tune -L /dev/sda1 test
Cfdisk shows me 'test' for label
I changed fstab and menu.lst and made a link in /dev/
>From test to sda1 (don't know if this is necessary but just trying...)

Result is the same error, not working.

What do I do wrong in this label/boot thing ?

Grtz, (and thnx for helping me out!)
Verus.