* e-mail client [ thunderbird ]
* file manager [ xterm]
* finance [  ]
* ftp [ ncftp ]
* image editor [ gimp ]
* image viewer [ gthumb ]
* instant messenger [ gaim ]
* mathematics [  ]
* misc utilities [ sudo, grep, lsof, top, wget, meld, ssh ]
* p2p [ bittorrent ]
* package manager [ dselect , apt-get ]
* pdf-reader [ evince ]
* spreadsheet [ openoffice, gnumeric ]
* tag editor [ ]
* terminal emulator [ xterm ]
* text editor [ gedit, vi ]
* 3D animation [ blender ]
* video player [ mplayer ]
* web browser [ firefox ]
* word-processor [ openoffice, abiword ]
* (great honours) [ GCC, GLibC, Linux, Bash, Xorg,  ]

[]s
rodrigo