Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

On 10/26/06, cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net> wrote:
* Tshepang Lekhonkhobe (tshepang@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
> A year ago, I asked debian-user about favourite applications. The big
> winners in that thread were GIMP, Firefox, K3b, gThumb, and
> Thunderbird. I would like to start it again, and I would like those
> who are get bored by this to please pardon me.
>
> Here goes my new list (If you don't use certain things, please leave
> the brackets blank like I did for audio editor, instead of leaving
> them occupied with previous entries; this is to make the counting more
> accurate):

Okey-dokey.  (I love this stuff)

glad you do...

 * (great honours) [ Don't know what you mean here.  Best overall
 stuff perhaps?  If so, GNU screen, emacs, mplayer and bash most likely. ]

I can't say Bash is my favourite shell because it's the default, and I
never tried anything else. Nevertheless I do greatly honour it, same
as I do Linux, GCC, Xorg, and GLibC. None of these pieces are
romantic, yet are all truly essential for any GNU/Linux system. I
consider them the most important pieces of FLOSS.

I added an implied window manager, as DE seems to imply something
else.  I also wonder why you left off shell?  And what is great
honours exactly?  I guessed, but it didn't seem to be what you meant.

It's fine to include the shell as well, even though one won't normally
call it an application -- It's more of an essential system component.