Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

* Tshepang Lekhonkhobe (tshepang@gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi,
> A year ago, I asked debian-user about favourite applications. The big
> winners in that thread were GIMP, Firefox, K3b, gThumb, and
> Thunderbird. I would like to start it again, and I would like those
> who are get bored by this to please pardon me.
>
> Here goes my new list (If you don't use certain things, please leave
> the brackets blank like I did for audio editor, instead of leaving
> them occupied with previous entries; this is to make the counting more
> accurate):

Okey-dokey.  (I love this stuff)

 * audio editor [ sox, audacity ]
 * audio player [ mpd (mpc, ncmpc), cdtool, mplayer ]
 * cd-ripper [ abcde ]
 * Desktop Environment [ N/A ]
 --  * Window Managers [ Fluxbox, ratpoison, ion3 ]
 * DBMS [ ]
 * development [ Perl (basic system stuff, and only enough to hurt myself) ]
 * disc burner [ cdrecord, growisofs ]
 * e-mail client [ mutt ]
 * file manager [ bash ]
 * finance [ No money, that is why I use Linux ;-) ]
 * ftp [ ]
 * image editor [ ImageMagick, GIMP ]
 * image viewer [ ImageMagick, xzgv ]
 * instant messenger [ centericq, Gaim ]
 * mathematics [ ]
 * misc utilities [ screen, conky, wget, bash ]
 * p2p [ bittornado ]
 * package manager [ aptitude ]
 * pdf-reader [ evince ]
 * spreadsheet [ ]
 * tag editor [ id3v2 ]
 * terminal emulator [ mrxvt ]
 * text editor [ GNU emacs ]
 * 3D animation [ ]
 * video player [ mplayer ]
 * web browser [ elinks, Firefox, Opera ]
 * word-processor [ openoffice ]
 * (unreleased) [ ? ]
 * (great honours) [ Don't know what you mean here.  Best overall
 stuff perhaps?  If so, GNU screen, emacs, mplayer and bash most likely. ]

I added an implied window manager, as DE seems to imply something
else.  I also wonder why you left off shell?  And what is great
honours exactly?  I guessed, but it didn't seem to be what you meant.

Patrick