Re: mail server

Please remember to reply to the list so that everyone can benefit from
our discussion of the issue.

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 01:34 -0700, George Adamides wrote:
> You are right by question is too broad and I apologize for that. Well
> basically I installed xoops (a content management system
> www.xoops.org ) which allows users to register. Upon registration a
> mail should be sent to the user to inform him about his registration.
> I noticed that when I tried to registered I did not receive an email.
> So I assumed that, since while installing debian I did not specify or
> configured any mail server, I should either find out how to configure
> a mail server or if mail server is already installed in debian.
> I hope my question makes sence.

The first step is obviously to see if exim can send you mail _without_
xoops being involved.

$ echo 'Foo!' | mail -s 'this is a test.' youremail@yourdomain.com

Also, you could probably get some more information by checking your mail
logs in /var/log/exim4/{mainlog,errorlog}

If you're not sure how exim was set up at installation, try doing:

$ dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

For simple set ups, this should get you a working mail setup.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg