Re: No xterm (or equivalents) immediately accessible in default etch

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:23:09 -0400
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 12:14:53PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> >
> > since this seems a nit pick session , I believe to bring up the run
> > dialog box is <alt+F2>. Also imho Debian is not for a newbie or even
> > less so a windows convert, hence Ubuntu.
> >
> Good catch on the Alt-F2.  I hardly use GNOME, so I tend to forget
> stuff like that.  In the right environment, Debian is just as
> suitable, if not more so, as ubuntu.  In fact, I have setup lots of
> newbies and windows converts up with Debian and have received a
> generally positive response.

I us Wmaker as a desktop manager, it seemed, at the time , to offer
keybindings that allowed me to keyboard as opposed to mouse. I
believe KDE also has good keybinding functionality I just like a light
weight wm manager. I don't like using the mouse unless its necessary,
gui browsers fit that description. on-topic I don't recall a default
install of Gnome using the 'alt+F2' keybinding, could be wrong since i
don't use that often.

> > I noticed that the selection 'desktop' in tasksel now only installs
> > a Gnome Desktop, no KDE , which is guaranteed to confuse Windows
> > converts.One persons rhyme is another  persons reason.
> >
> Odd.  I generally spend less time "training" a new person on GNOME
> than on KDE.  For instance, at my church I setup LTSP with everyone
> using GNOME desktops.  Every single person there had not ever heard
> of Linux. After about five minutes of "training" they were off and
> running with GNOME.  I've not done any deployments of KDE beyond one
> person at a time.  But even with experienced Windows users who wanted
> something a little more flexible than GNOME, they tended to like KDE
> but be more confused by it.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

There is a difference between some who 'wants' to switch linux and has
done some investigation. I deal with 'neighbors who's Windows boxes have
been compromised. Kde can be made to look like Windows, the meubar on
the top of the screen bin Gnome is enough to confuse the folks I help.
--
Greg Madden