Re: No xterm (or equivalents) immediately accessible in default etch

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 01:12:48AM -0400, Jameson C. Burt wrote:

> We in Linux heavily use the command-line.
> So, I was dismayed when my new Debian etch version displayed a Gnome
> interface WITHOUT ANY XTERM (or GNOME-TERMINAL or KONSOLE)
> and not even any immediate panel options for these terminals.
>
> Gnome's "Add to Panel" includes a trashcan and a file-manager just like
> Microsoft, but not one of Unix's foundations -- a text terminal.
> I eventually kludged a gnome-terminal icon onto the Gnome panel.
> Or I can
>    Applications -> Accessories --> Terminal
> but this should not be the primary approach to command-line entries.
>
> Yes, once I have a gnome-terminal running, future logins re-deploy it,
> and that's actually an improvement to making inclusions in ~/.xsession
> (although Gnome drops some applications from later logins as Sun did
> 10 years ago).
>
> THE XTERM (or its equivalent) SHOULD BE IN MY FACE
> THE VERY FIRST TIME I LOGIN,
> requiring at most a single obvious mouse click.

Well, it is well known that the target audience of GNOME is end user
newbies or windows transplants.  That said, those types of people likely
don't know about the command line.  If they do, they are likely
frightened by it.  So, your options are:

 * Use a desktop environment which targets power users
 * Don't use a desktop environment at all
 * Find the shortcut the first time and then place it where you want it
 * Use Alt-F1 to bring up a "run" dialog and type gnome-terminal

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez