Re: No xterm (or equivalents) immediately accessible in default etch

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:12:48 -0400
"Jameson C. Burt" <jameson_debian@coost.com> wrote:

> We in Linux heavily use the command-line.
> So, I was dismayed when my new Debian etch version displayed a Gnome
> interface WITHOUT ANY XTERM (or GNOME-TERMINAL or KONSOLE)
> and not even any immediate panel options for these terminals.
>
> Gnome's "Add to Panel" includes a trashcan and a file-manager just
> like Microsoft, but not one of Unix's foundations -- a text terminal.
> I eventually kludged a gnome-terminal icon onto the Gnome panel.
> Or I can
>    Applications -> Accessories --> Terminal
> but this should not be the primary approach to command-line entries.
>
> Yes, once I have a gnome-terminal running, future logins re-deploy it,
> and that's actually an improvement to making inclusions in
> ~/.xsession (although Gnome drops some applications from later logins
> as Sun did 10 years ago).
>
> THE XTERM (or its equivalent) SHOULD BE IN MY FACE
> THE VERY FIRST TIME I LOGIN,
> requiring at most a single obvious mouse click.
>

> ---
> Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
> jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com
> (202) 690-0380 (work)
>
> LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
>                   we know they are real and not supernatural"

Not so long ago, the default GNOME installation had a "Terminal"
launcher on the top panel, next to the main menu, as well as a "New
Terminal" menu item in the desktop menu. Both of these have been removed
upstream, on the grounds that they are likely to confuse new users.

I can only echo the view of others in this thread: if you are
sufficiently advanced to want these features, you are advanced enough
to find them.

--

Liam