Re: Exim4 and Mutt for beginners?

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:17:52PM +0200, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> > > Should I wade into the Exim4 docs and try and figure that out, or is
> > > there a simpler option for someone with minimal experience with such
> > > matters?
>
> Sorry for comming late into the thread.
> Personaly, I would take that step. It is
> for better usage of the box.
> Despite MTA is one of best things on unices,
> you don't need it in deed. Instead of fetch-
> mail (and sendmail/exim/postfix), you could
> give a chance to getmail. It puts mail right
> to mbox you name, whenever it is. No sign of
> MTA (if you like it that way).

I second the recommendation for getmail. It is much easier to setup. It
can also deliver directly to mbox or Maildir format. It has basic sorting
and if the basic sorting is not enough than use maildrop which is easy
(much easier than procmail) and very powerfull.

> To send mail, use ssmtp/esmtp of similar. Just
> point from ".muttrc" to that binary. Again,
> no need for MTA. But, any MTA is so good
> idea, to make your life easier, that none
> should miss it.

ssmtp/esmtp are MTAs as well, just much simpler. My main reason not to
use them is that they are relaying local mail through the smarthost, which
I don't like.

> If exim looks hard, postfix is just next
> best option. Easy to set up, secure, one
> file to mess with. KISS.

I also consider postfix easier to setup than exim. If you are looking
for a sample config I posted mine not long ago on this list. I was
having trouble using SMTP AUTH, but it turned out to be just a typo.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)