Re: G965 Chipset & ICH8 Southbridge Support

On Friday 20 October 2006 20:03, Fernando Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi, users of debian, im a little newbie in gnu/linux, i recently bought an
> Intel Mobo (DG965WH) with the G965 Chipset, ICH8 Southbridge and Marvell
> IDE controller, im interested in only install debian in this machine that
> im going to build, but i found out that G965 and ICH8 has problems with
> some distros, i would like to know if in the next release of Debian, it
> would support that chipset?. or if exists a testing release that i can
> install and contribute in way to test the system and report some bugs.

Can't answer all your questions because my board is slightly different.  I
have an Intel DG965SS which has much the same (I would guess) chipset, but
yours appears to be a ATX board against mine as a micro ATX.  and yours seems
to have 8 channel audio as opposed to 6 channel on mine. Other than that from
the specs I am looking at they look the same.

I am running Debian unstable

In order to get the graphics chip to work correctly, you need a version of the
agpgart module that is only currently in the 2.6.19-rc2 kernel, so I have had
to download and build the latest kernel since the latest debian only has the
last release 2.6.18.

What I did was, download the kernel (using the links2 browser - since at this
stage I only had a text console), expand the tar and copy over
the /boot/config-2.6.18 file to .config in the top level directory of the new
source.

Run "make oldconfig" and select what new options you like (I tried to make as
many of the new options as modules as I could, and otherwise selected the
default).

I installed the debian package "kernel-package" (apt-get install
kernel-package), and then from within the top level of the source typed

make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image

This builds a .deb file into the directory just above the source, so when its
complete you need to

dpkg -i ../that deb file.deb

This installs a vmlinux and initrd into my boot directory and I then simply
boot the new kernel (via grub).

Since I had used the hard drives from my old machine, the rest of the system
just worked (including the raid and lvm setup that I have)
[Actually I know I have sound - I can play my music files - but KDE is not
recognising it and playing system sounds at the moment - but thats a minor
inconvenience which I will track down later]
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk