Unable to identify the local socket: Transport endpoint is not connected

Hi all,

Since this morning I suddenly get the following error in my log:

oct 20 08:47:47 localhost pure-ftpd: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to identify the local socket: Transport endpoint is not connected

These log entries appear at fixed intervals: at 2,3,47 and 48 minutes past the hour.

I didn't change anything to my server this morning. So I'm wondering what it could be.

I tried:
1. restarting pure-ftpd, but since it is started from inetd that obviously didn't help. :-) 2. I found that I can make a ftp connection to the server, ftp someuser@ftp.my.domain works just fine and I'm getting the standard welcom text. But once I enter a ls, the connection hangs. 3. I googled for the error message, but found only some unrelated or unanswered archived mails. 4. looked into the cron files, because of the regular interval, but didn't see anyting strange

I run the standard pure-ftpd package on sarge 3.1 from inetd. Port 21 is closed on my firewall

Does anyone know what:
- this error message means
- where I should look for the cause
- what could cause them to be in the log at such regular intervals?

TIA

Peter