Re: Dirty spam

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

If you are using t-bird to get mail directly from a pop server, then I
think you're stuck. But you COULD, setup fetchmail to get your mail,
reconfig exim to use spamassassin and whatever else you want) and then
deliver that mail to your mail locally for t-bird to pick up. but that
may be using a 2x4 to swat a fly, I don't know. Can t-bird pipe messages
through external programs? If so, you might look at bogofilter as its
stupid easy to setup and train.

Ultimately, I think that is what I'll end up doing (bring my mail down locally). A few years back, when I first began exploring the free unix world, my system was exactly set up to download mail (using fetchmail, I think) and then I'd have access to it through any interface I wanted (I think I used pine, but I was also able to to use Netscape -- at the time -- to read mail, much like you describe above).

After a while, I focused more on my education (which still involved Unix) so I sort of put free unix exploration on the back burner. When I came back (when RedHat was about in version 4), I did not set up local mail because I was not able to get a static IP as I (luckily) had when I first began exploring free unix.

Now, even though I still don't have a static IP address, I see that with exim it is possible to set up "local mail" so this would probably be best for me.

I'll have to get into the intricacies of exim and then understand a little how to interface both exim and spamassasin for such things as spam.

Thanks for suggestion.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque