Re: Debian /etc/apt/sources.list

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 12:03:04 +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (20/10/06 10:45), Olafur Jens Sigurdsson wrote:
> > Þann 2006-10-20, 11:21:19 (+0100) skrifaði Clive Menzies:

> > > I use aptitude which has a hold option
> > >  aptitude hold <packages>...
> > >
> > > I just checked the apt-get man page and couldn't see an equivalent but
> > > someone else may confirm it works.  If not apt-get should respect
> > > aptitude's 'wishes'.
> >
> > Isnt this a job for "pinning"? :-)
>
> I don't think so.  I believe pinning is used where you're using
> packages from different releases.  It would be overkill for holding one
> package.

I believe that "hold", "forbid upgrade to specific version" and "mark
auto" are aptitude-only features. The relevant information is stored in
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates and I don't think that apt-get reads this
file.

I always had to use pinning with apt-get if a newer version of a package
had a bug, otherwise "apt-get upgrade" would blindly install that
version. It is indeed a pain in the neck to use pinning like that; this
was one of the reasons for me to switch to aptitude. Of course, it could
be that apt-get has learned a few new tricks since I last used it, but I
have the impression that development is focused on aptitude these days.

--
Regards,
          Florian