Re: clock and printer_passwd_troubles

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 17:21:39 +0200, steef wrote:
> hi list,
>

> maybe a stupid question, but nevertheless...
>
> i have etch installed on one of my hd's, with a kde-desktop. like
> allways i built this os from an absolute minimum of packages.
>
> last night i tried to install my hp-printer with the kde-tool : kcontrol
> >> peripherals >> printers etc. *the kde-printertool did not recognize
> my root_passwd* with the adjustment of the digital clock on the desktop
> it is the same thing.
>
> {in both cases it was easy to work around this problem. the hp_printer
> psc_1402 with localhost:631 and the clock with # tzconfig.)
>
> i vaguely remember i read something before on these problems on this
> list, but could not find it.
>
> somebody else with the same experience??  any comment appreciated,

I seem to remember that this also happened on Sid when KDE 3.5.5 came
around. Looks like it has now propagated to Etch. On Sid it was fixed
quickly, so I would hope that the same happens with Etch.

A somewhat useful workaround goes like this: When you are asked for the
root password you can see the full command that will be run as root. For
example, to set the clock this is

/usr/bin/kcmshell kde-clock.desktop --lang en_US

You can open a konsole window, su to root and run this command to open
the exact same configuration dialog. This might be helpful for cases in
which you do not know an equivalent command line tool.

If you get an error about not being able to access the X display then
you have to run

xauth merge /home/x-user/.Xauthority

after you have become root. "x-user" has to be replaced with the name of
the user who started the X session.

--
Regards,
          Florian