routing only certain traffic through vpn?

hi,

i'm wondering whether it's possible to route only certain internet
traffic through a vpn, or to exclude certain ip addresses/ranges from
the vpn.

my situation is as follows:  I work mostly from home and rely on the
university's vpn to be able to access online journals.  ths works
fine., but when I'm connected to the vpn I can't send mail from my
home email account (postfix doesn't work properly).  I'm wondering
whether I could contact my smtp host from outside of the vpn somehow.

has anyone tried this and/or any suggestions?

thanks for the help,

matt