Dell Dimension 8400, boot hangs on drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c

Hi List,

without any recognizable trigger (perhaps an unnoticed upgrade by aptitude?), I am no longer able to boot from from Dell Dimension 8400. I had the latest Debian testing installed, and a 2.6.17 kernel.

The message appears:

ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free
ide0: ports already in use skipping probe
ide1:  I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free
ide1: ports already in use skipping probe
Done
Begin: Waiting for root file system ....
(...The boot process continues here a bit and then gets as far as..)
usbcore: registered new driver usbhid
 drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
Done
	Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
	or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/hda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

***
I am not sure if the usb module is part of the problem, it is installed. Also, the computer has a SATA hard disk, so I tried replacing hda1 with sda1 in grub's menu.lst, but that did not help.  I can start the computer with Knoppix 5.0 with no problems. I have spent the last day looking in Google and trying various modifications with no success, any tips/ideas/help would be most welcome!

Thanks, Peter

Dr. med. Peter Robinson, MSc.
Institut für Medizinische Genetik
Universitätsklinikum Charité