Re: LTO-2 Tape Drive Recommendations

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Tim Boring wrote:

I'm looking to get an LTO-2 tape drive/autoloader for doing server
backups.  I've tried a Dell PV-122 autoloader (8 cartridges) but had
issues with it, so I'm thinking about trying something different.
(Tried calling Dell tech support but they weren't very helpful; they
seemed to only "understand" RedHat Linux.)  Anyone have any
recommendations of a drive or autoloader that they have had good
experiences with on Debian Sarge?

I've used a couple of tape libraries (autoloaders) from 'adic' that work very well. Ours have a DLT tape drive and interface through SCSI to the computer (they are getting a little old now). I'm using 'bacula' as the backup software. We had used 'amanda' for years and years, but bacula works far better IMHO. I had to do a little scripting to get bacula to control the autoloader, but this is described pretty well in the bacula docs. I think when you decide on a backup application, its documentation should give an idea as to what tape devices it supports.