Re: how to start the sound system

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 21:54:07 +0200, Kay Smarczewski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:23:31PM +0200, Kay Smarczewski wrote:

> > > the codec /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 is the same as listed on the page
> > > and i have the kernel 2.6.19rc2. that should contain alsa 1.0.13rc3 as
> > > listed on the page.
> > > if have searched for the patch and i have it, too. :(
> > >
> > > so i am not very hopeful. but of course i will try to compile the kernel
> > > for myself.
> >
> > i mean compiling the alsa-module, of course ;)
>
> ok, i recompiled the kernel with the help of the alsa-page and your
> link. and nothing changed:
> after the first reboot everything works fine.
> after the second time, only aplay works.
>
> i get many of these errors:
> hda_codec: invalid dep_range_val 0:7fff
> hda_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0xd

I am pretty much out of ideas now. You could do some general poking
around to compare the situation between the first, successful boot and
the second one. For example:

cat /proc/modules | cut -f1 -d " " | sort > modules1.txt

Then after the reboot save the output of the same command as
"modules2.txt" and use diff to compare the two lists of modules.

If you use an initrd you could try to build the sound modules into it.

If that all fails then you need to attract the attention of someone who,
contrary to me, actually has the same soundcard. I would start a new
thread and make sure that "ATI SB450 hda_codec" is prominently visible
in the subject line. (Many people tend to ignore threads which have such
an unspecific subject as the present one.)

--
Regards,
          Florian