Kernel panic on Dell with Debian

Hi,

I've tried to install Debian Sarge in a Dell PowerEdge 1425. The CD doesn't recognize the SCSI adapter (AIC), but I've found one ISO which contains the driver needed (http://wiki.osuosl.org/display/LNX/Debian+on+Dell+Servers).

After successfully installed, the system doesn't have support to iptables. So, recompiled the kernel and was expecting to work.

But the system boots no longer. It gave me a kernel panic message, unable to mount root partition (/dev/sda1) or 08:00. This partition, /dev/sda1, is correct.

I followed the instructions in the site I've mentioned above to recompile the kernel, but this problem drove me crazy. I copied the config file available on the site and one at /boot folder to /usr/src/KERNEL_VERSION/.config, changed nothing, compiled and the system still doesn't working.

And yes, I've ran lilo.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Regards,