RFH: sarge$ ssh etch gthumb -> broken fonts ?

Hello!

Please cc: me on replies, since I'm not subscribed to debian-user.

I encountered a very strage problem: I have several machines running
sarge(stable), etch(testing) and sid(unstable).
My main workstation is currently a sarge(stable) one.
When I ssh to an etch(testing) workstation and lunch, for example,
"gthumb" (or most GTK application), they display wrong:
- The shortcut-characters in the menu-bar are not underlined
- Alle check-boxes and radio-boxed just display without content, that is
  checkboxes are displayes as a white rectangle, radio-boxed are
  transparent (background shows through)
If I walk over to that etch(testing) workstation and login locally,
everytging works alright.
Doing it the other way around also works fine, that is starting an
sarge(stable) gthumb via an ssh connection from an etch(testing)
workstation.

Does somebody know, how GTK paints those boxes? (Mis-)using fonts, using
bitmaps or some other pixel-painter-way?

Some additional strange things:
- Once I was running "gfontview" on a sid(unstable) box in parallel via
  ssh and was displaying the "Bitstream Vera Sans" font. Suddenly
  "gthumb" was fine, but not always.
- "gthumb" sometimes misdisplays the pictures: once I had all pictures
  scrambled and/or replaces by an Mozilla mizard.
- Goole Earth misdisplayed it's font: Several characters where missing,
  only 'o's where shown. After removing some fonts (ttf-freefont),
  suddenly it was okay again.

The problem seems to be font related, but I'm out of ideas how to debug
this any further. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

BYtE
Philipp