Re: Sound via ssh

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:57:56PM +0200, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a Debian machine with a sound card. I can play
> mp3 with libOSS.so. When I connect to this machine with
> ssh from another machine (it's a Sun terminal) with X
> forwarding, I can start xmms and it also starts playing
> the mp3. However, the sound is not forwarded to my
> headphones connected to my Sun terminal. What is wrong?
> Do I need to install any more modules/programs?

You need a sound server that supports networked audio. I'd recommend
the PulseAudio sound server. It supports exactly what you want (redirection
of sound for X apps running over ssh -X) right "out of the box". It has
support for redirecting apps that use ALSA, OSS, ESD, libao and gstreamer.
So in other words pretty much everything out there. There is even a native
PulseAudio plugin for xmms. :-)

Check it out at http://www.pulseaudio.org

There are packages in unstable and testing too.

--
CJ van den Berg

mailto:cj@vdbonline.com
  xmpp:cj@vdbonline.com