Re: Sound via ssh

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:57:56PM +0200, Christian Christmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a Debian machine with a sound card. I can play
> mp3 with libOSS.so. When I connect to this machine with
> ssh from another machine (it's a Sun terminal) with X
> forwarding, I can start xmms and it also starts playing
> the mp3. However, the sound is not forwarded to my
> headphones connected to my Sun terminal. What is wrong?
> Do I need to install any more modules/programs?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Although you have forwarded the user interface from the debian machine
to the Sun terminal, the program is running on the debian machine as if
you were sitting at it.  That programme is sending the sound to the
sound device on the debian machine.

That's what I believe is wrong.  I don't know how to fix it because I
haven't tried and I haven't worked with Sun terminals.

I'm assuming the Sun terminal has a sound device that you wish the
program output to.

There would need to be a network protocol whereby the sound device on
the Sun terminal was linked (connected) to a device on the debian
machine that to your progam looked like a sound device but really
forwarded the data stream to the Sun terminal, with a daemon on the Sun
terminal that would collect this data stream and put it out to the real
sound device.  In effect, a network virtual sound card.

I would suggest looking through the sound and network sections of
Aptitude (or using your favorite package search tool) and see what's
there.

Good luck,

Doug.