Re: In search of Helvetica

On 10/16/06 12:02, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:52:59 +0200
> Sjoerd Hiemstra <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running Sarge. I'd like to use fonts like Helvetica and Lucida Sans
>> Typewriter as menu fonts, editor fonts and the like.
>>
>> However, I can only do so in gtk1 applications, such as the version of
>> Sylpheed that comes with Sarge.
>>
>> They do not show up in gtk2 and qt applications (except for OpenOffice
>> and Opera who appear to have a set of fonts of their own), nor can I
>> configure them in the Gnome font settings (e.g. by running
>> /usr/bin/gnome-font-properties).
>>
>> Yet, they do exist: in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi and .../75dpi.
>> Is there a way to make them globally available?
>>
>> S.H.
>>

> Yes. Bitmap fonts are disabled by fontconfig (the library used by GTK2
> and QT) by default. To change this, run 'dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' as
> root, and answer 'yes' to the question regarding bitmap fonts.

Hmmm, that's interesting.  No questions.

# apt-cache policy fontconfig
fontconfig:
  Installed: 2.4.1-2
  Candidate: 2.4.1-2
  Version table:
 *** 2.4.1-2 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

# dpkg-reconfigure -plow fontconfig
Cleaning up font configuration of fontconfig...
Cleaning up category cid..
Cleaning up category truetype..
Cleaning up category type1..
Updating font configuration of fontconfig...
Cleaning up category cid..
Cleaning up category truetype..
Cleaning up category type1..
Updating category type1..