In search of Helvetica

Hi,

Running Sarge. I'd like to use fonts like Helvetica and Lucida Sans
Typewriter as menu fonts, editor fonts and the like.

However, I can only do so in gtk1 applications, such as the version of
Sylpheed that comes with Sarge.

They do not show up in gtk2 and qt applications (except for OpenOffice
and Opera who appear to have a set of fonts of their own), nor can I
configure them in the Gnome font settings (e.g. by running
/usr/bin/gnome-font-properties).

Yet, they do exist: in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi and .../75dpi.
Is there a way to make them globally available?

S.H.