Re: unable to start qjackctl and ardour

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:55:40 -0200
Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> John
>
> thank you very much for your detailed answer. I am using the default
> 2.6.8 kernel in Debian. I tried the jackstart command and I got:
>
> marcelo:~$ jackstart
> jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:
>            =ep cap_setpcap-ep
>     probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,
>     a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"
>
> So, I will follow your advice, and will re-compile my kernel with the
> options you suggest. I was thinking to do it anyway in order to improve
> performance. I will use the 2.6.16 kernel.

To understand what this is all about, you may want to read this post
I made to debian-user a couple of years ago, particularly the part
titled "PREPARING YOUR KERNEL FOR JACK".  It's a bit dated, insofar as
I mainly concentrated on 2.4.x kernels; but the point is the same.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)